Tenants filing Answers/Affidavits for eviction notices in Las Vegas can file online from www.lacsn.org/efile by choosing ''SUMMARY EVICTION: Tenant's Answer.'' For eviction prevention tips, click here. For a list of current rental assistance programs, click here.




The Self-Help Center has a limited number of bilingual staff to assist Spanish-speaking customers.  Due to the heavy demand for services in Spanish, however, it is highly recommended that Spanish-speaking customers bring someone to the center who can speak English and assist the customer with forms, instructions, and the like.

The Self-Help Center does not provide interpreters for court hearings or any other matters outside the center.  Similarly, the Self-Help Center staff cannot provide certain direct translation services (for example, the staff cannot translate a contract written in a foreign language).

What if I have a court case, but don't speak English?

If you are non-English speaking and have a case pending in district court, you should contact the District Court Interpreter's Office to arrange for an interpreter not less than 48 hours before your hearing or trial is scheduled.  EDCR 7.80.  The District Court Interpreter's office provides professional interpreting services for virtually any language.  For more information or to arrange for an interpreter, contact the Interpreter's Office at (702) 671-4578.  The Interpreter's Office is located at 330 S. 3rd Street (10th Floor), Suite 1020, Las Vegas, Nevada 89101.

If you are non-English speaking and appearing for a small claims case, civil case, or a landlord/tenant dispute in justice court, you should bring an interpreter with you when you appear at the clerk's office and for your court appearance.  To arrange for an interpreter, contact the District Court Interpreter's Office at (702) 671-4578 prior to your hearing or trial.

Can the court appoint an interpreter or waive interpreter fees?

Yes, the court has the discretion to appoint a foreign language interpreter. See NRCP 43(d), JCRCP 43(f); Caballero v. Seventh Judicial Dist. Court ex rel. County of White Pine, 167 P.3d 415 (Nev. 2007).

A district court judge also has the discretion to waive, increase, or decrease the fees charged by an interpreter in exceptional cases.  EDCR 7.80(a).  In a civil case, if the district court judge has determined that a litigant is indigent and has granted the litigant's application to waive court fees pursuant to NRS 12.015, there may be no charge for available court interpreters.  EDCR 7.80(a).

Can a person bring a family member or friend to interpret?

A person may not act as an interpreter in a court proceeding if he is a spouse of the witness, related to the witness, biased against one of the parties, or otherwise interested in the outcome of the case.  NRS 50.054.

Must the court provide an interpreter or other accommodations for a disabled person?

To comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), courts must provide reasonable accommodations to all individuals who require special assistance to access the courts.

Under Nevada law, courts are required to appoint an interpreter in any case where a witness cannot, because he is deaf or has a physical speaking impairment, readily understand or communicate in the English language or understand the proceedings. NRS 50.050(1)-(2). At the end of the case, the court may assess the expense of the interpreter as a cost. NRS 50.050(3).